In this area you will be able to view questions and the answers most frequently asked of the Township Assessor’s Office. If there is a question that you do not see and would like answered please contact the office either by telephone (815-232-6131) or by email: email@example.com
Use of terms that you might see or hear used by the Assessor’s Office:
1) Market Value/Full Value/Fair Cash Value: the 100% value of both land and buildings on a parcel. 2) Assessed Value is 1/3 or 33.33% of the Market Value: The State of Illinois has chosen to use 33.33% of Market as the Assessed Value. 3) The breakdown of your assessment includes:
The term “improvements” does not mean that you have improved the existing structure(s), but that a structure or in the case of commercial/industrial properties parking lot/paving is considered an improvement to the land.
Why did the value of my property increase when I haven't done anything to it for years?
The Market Value of your property may change due to the fluctuation of the Real Estate Market within Freeport Township.
The assessor may have revalued your property or, as required by law, an equalization factor was applied by the Stephenson Chief County Assessment Officer to adjust the level of assessments in Freeport Township to 33.33%. For further information please feel free to contact the office @ 815-232-6131
Who has the authority to change the Assessments established by the Assessor?
1) The CCAO (Chief County Assessment Officer) may apply an Equalization Factor.
2) The State of Illinois may apply a multiplier.
3) The Stephenson County Board of Review.
4) Illinois State Property Tax Appeal Board.
What are the attributes considered when valuing my property?
There are a multitude number of attributes that are considered when valuing a property. These attributes include, but not limited to, square footage, story type, construction type, plumbing fixtures, garage style and size, central air, finished basement, porches, decks, patios, fireplaces, quality grade of construction, condition….. If in question please feel free to contact the office @ 815-232-6131
How do I know the Assessor has the correct property information?
You can access what data the Assessor currently has on your property through our website: Parcel Search
What should I do if I don't think the assessed value given to my property is accurate?
Contact the Assessor’s Office to discuss your assessment @ 815-232-6131
When can I file an appeal on my assessment?
1) You may appeal your assessment with the Stephenson County Board of Review. This must be done within 30 days of the publication date. Board of Review Rules
2) If not satisfied with BOR decision you my appeal your assessment with the State of Illinois Property Tax Appeal Board. You may do this after you receive written notice of the Board of Review decision. The taxpayer must file their appeal within 30 days of the Board’s Decision Date.
I have questions about my Exemptions, who do I speak with?
All exemptions are handled by the Chief County Assessment Office. Direct your inquiries to that office @ 815-235-8260